Resco Inspections is a solution that allows you to shape every step of your inspection process:
- Create custom questionnaires, dynamic forms, surveys and more.
- Make inspections more effective for your field staff and analyze collected data afterwards – all with one solution.
- Questionnaire Designer (formerly called Inspections Designer or builder) - a powerful tool for creating questionnaires
- Schedule Board or Scheduler - tool for planning assignments
- Resco Inspections app or Inspector - a dedicated mobile application
- Automatic Dashboard or Analyst - tool for visualizing and evaluating questionnaire results
- Results Viewer - tool for viewing completed questionnaires
- Report Designer - tool for designing report templates
Customization and setup are done via additional tools:
Resco Cloud-specific components:
- Manager's experience - collection of useful web tools for managers
- Client portal - web portal for your clients where they can review past inspections and ask for a new one
- Browse a library of checklists, forms, and reports that you can download and use in your organization. See How to use a template from the Resco Template Library to get started.
Inspections using a smartwatch
Inspectors can use smartwatches paired to their phone to fill in the questionnaires. This function requires Apple Watch or devices that support Wear OS by Google.
Inspections using HoloLens
Inspectors can use mixed reality via Microsoft HoloLens to fill in the questionnaires.
Inspections with augmented-reality video calls
Inspectors in the field can initiate a video call to an expert. The recipient can draw instructions straight into the shared video scene.
With Resco Inspections, you can follow up the inspection with generating a report, for example in PDF format. The report is created directly on the device, even offline.
The demo data includes the automatic report, a generic default report for any questionnaire. This report can be made available in the app without any additional configuration. Automatic reports are only available for the standalone Resco Inspections product.
While editing a questionnaire using Questionnaire Designer, you can use the Mobile Report button to open the Report Designer. This function takes the questionnaire structure and converts it into a custom report with the same structure. This new report is also linked to the questionnaire. You can then modify the report to fit your needs.
Alternatively, you can start Report Designer, create a brand new report from scratch, and link it to a questionnaire manually.
For more information, see mobile reports for Resco Inspections.
When you deploy Resco Inspections in large projects without considering performance, your users may experience performance degradation. Learn about the possible problems in advance and set up your questionnaires to mitigate the risks.
Rapidly increasing database footprint
If you created your Resco Inspections organization some time ago, the default setting used to be that every single answered questionnaire is saved in a self-contained way, i.e., it includes the answers, but also the questions along any possible custom images (logo), business rules, and styles. This approach ensures that even if the original questionnaire template changes, your answered questionnaires are unaffected.
In scenarios where questionnaires are changing frequently and each questionnaire is answered only a limited number of times, this is a valid approach. However, if your inspectors perform hundreds or thousands of inspections every day, you might discover that your database gets full of redundant data.
Use the parameter Dependency Level in the properties of a questionnaire template to control this behavior.
- None: This is default value. Questionnaires are self-contained, at the cost of increased database footprint.
- Images: In this case, static images of the questionnaire template (such as the logo) are not included in each answer.
- Full: Save only the answers. Static images, questions, rules, and styles are not included; instead, they are replaced with a reference to a questionnaire template. This option is recommended if your questionnaires rarely change and it is only available for versioned questionnaire templates.
- Using versioned templates means that old template versions gain the archived state. Sometimes, the sync filter for the Questionnaire entity is configured to exclude archived templates. If you attempt to view old answered questionnaires (that use an archived template with medium or high dependency level) in the app in offline mode, you may encounter the Questionnaire template not found! error. In this case, consider modifying the sync filter to make archived templates available in the offline mode.
Another complementary option is saving your images in external cloud document storage, rather than in the database. This behavior is configured on the Properties pane for images in the parameter Storage Entity. Cloud document storage is often much cheaper than databases. Resco Inspections supports third-party document storage by Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and SharePoint.
Slow questionnaire loading time
If your complex questionnaire templates include many On Change rules, app users may experience slow performance when they open the questionnaire in the app. This issue affects particularly older devices.
Edit your questionnaire template and on the Properties pane, set the Rules Version parameter to Latest, to take advantage of optimized handling of On Change rules during questionnaire loading. To learn more about this parameter, read Rules version.
Sync: upload takes too long
Inspectors in the field who perform many large inspections regularly may sometimes experience the problem that the upload phase of synchronization takes too long, particularly is the network isn't too good. Increasing the dependency level to full as described above can help, because the amount of data for upload is reduced. Additional savings can be accomplished by changing how questionnaire answers are stored and uploaded.
Edit your questionnaire template and on the Properties pane, configure the Answer Storage to select how should the answers be stored.
- Records: This is the default option. Each answer is transferred as a single record during synchronization. This may make synchronization slower, but ensures the best compatibility with the backend servers and allows you to leverage existing tools to visualize the data.
- JSON or Compressed JSON: These options offer improved synchronization performance, however, not all tools understand JSON.
Sync: download takes too long
If your app users (inspectors in the field) experience long download times followed by many deletions, consider setting the Synchronization strategy for the entity Questionnaire to Incremental with Sync Filter.
Tip: Migrating inspections between environments
If you need to migrate more complex inspections scenarios between environments, for example, for a dev/test environment to production, proceed as follows:
- Migrate the questionnaires (using the export/import function of the Questionnaire Designer).
- Migrate the mobile reports (using the export/import function of the Report Designer) and activate them.
- In Questionnaire Designer, associate the reports to the right questionnaires.
- In Questionnaire Designer, set up the Run Report command on each questionnaire to point to the right report template.
- In Questionnaire Designer, activate (non-versioned) or publish (versioned) questionnaire templates.