Resco Inspections on Dynamics 365
|Warning||Work in progress! We are in the process of updating the information on this page. Subject to change.|
Enabling Resco Inspections
To enable and use the Resco Inspections functionalities within Dynamics 365/CRM, first it is necessary to download and import the Woodford solution into your Dynamics 365/CRM instance. Woodford solution is a custom Dynamics 365/CRM managed solution developed and maintained by Resco that contains all the Resco components, including the Resco Inspections tools.
More information on how to install the latest version of Woodford into Dynamics 365/CRM can be found here.
New app project
The next step is to open the Woodford configuration tool in Dynamics 365/CRM settings and create a new app project using the “Inspector” project template – this is a project specifically designed for the inspection use case; Resco Inspections feature is already enabled here.
|Note||If you already use the Resco technology and have an existing/customized app project in Woodford, go to the next chapter to see how to enable Resco Inspections in an existing app project.|
Detailed steps for Dynamics 365 Online:
- In the web browser (we suggest using Chrome) log into your Dynamics 365 organization and switch to the Resco Suite app.
- Click Woodford to open the Woodford tool.
- Select App Projects from the Administration menu, then click New to start the New Project Wizard.
- In the wizard, set Type to "Standard User" and choose the Inspector template from the gallery, then click Next.
- Enter New App Name (e.g., "Inspector App") and click Next.
- In the last step, enter the name of your project (e.g., "Inspector Project"), select the security role(s) this project will be associated with and click Create.
- Finally, open the new app project and publish it.
Now you can go to the Questionnaire Designer and create a questionnaire template.
Existing app project
In case you already use the Resco technology, have an existing/customized app project in Woodford, and want to enable the Resco Inspections functionality, follow these steps:
- In Woodford, edit your app project and select Inspections from the Project menu.
- Check Enable Inspections and confirm that you have the appropriate license, then click Save.
- If you want to add the Inspections section to the Home screen, click Add To Home.
- If you want to add the Inspections section to any entity form (e.g. Appointment), click Add To Form.
- If you want to install a generic Automatic Report, click Install Report.
- Optionally, install some sample questionnaire templates via the Questionnaire Designer tool.
- Save all the changes and publish the app project.
To create your own custom inspection templates, checklists, or questionnaires, you need to open the tool called Questionnaire Designer. Just like Woodford, it is a web-based configurator tool included in the Woodford solution, so you only need a web browser (we suggest using Chrome); there is no need to install anything else.
Detailed steps for Dynamics 365 Online:
- In the web browser, log into your Dynamics 365 organization and switch to the Resco Suite app.
- Select Inspections and start the Questionnaire Designer tool.
- New window with the Questionnaire Designer opens. Click either the New button or the New Questionnaire link to start the New Questionnaire Wizard.
A quick overview of the Questionnaire Designer’s capabilities can be found later in this article; more comprehensive information are here.
- When your finish your new template, click Save & Close.
- In the Questionnaires List select the draft of your template and click Activate.
Your template is now active and ready to be used in the mobile app.
Finally, it is necessary to download the Resco Inspections mobile app on your device via the corresponding application store and synchronize it with your Dynamics 365/CRM organization.
|Note||If you already use the standard Resco Mobile CRM “blue” app with your Dynamics 365/CRM organization and you enabled Resco Inspections in your existing app project, you don’t have to switch to the Resco Inspections mobile app. The “blue” app fully supports all the Resco Inspections features.|
Designing the questionnaire
Building a new custom questionnaire template from scratch based on the specific requirements might be a complex task that requires multiple steps – we recommend you perform them in the following order:
In general, the questionnaire template can consist of multiple root-level questions, question groups, and group-level questions. There is no limit on the number of groups or questions within the template.
The following types of components can be added to the questionnaire template (more information can be found here):
- Main: simple and repeatable groups of questions
- Static Components: their content cannot be modified by the mobile user performing the inspection
- Questions: simple and complex types of input
- Special: Regarding Lookup question is used to store the reference of the entity record from which the corresponding questionnaire has been opened by the mobile user
|Note||When adding a new group or question into your template, carefully define not only its label (i.e., what the mobile user sees in the app) but also the technical name – this must be unique within the template and will appear in the Rules Editor when building a custom business logic.|
You can use the native Scoring feature to evaluate each answered questionnaire based on the value of the answers.
To make the questionnaire more appealing to the mobile user, you can change the appearance of each question by using the Form Styles.
- create and define your custom style within the styles library
- assign the custom style to the corresponding question
Add custom business logic
To make the questionnaire more interactive and dynamic for the mobile user, you can add a custom business logic with different levels of complexity.
- Smart question properties
- Simple rules that allow you to easily control some properties of the groups or questions
- Smart default values
- Configure a default value to save time for the inspector in the field
- More complex root-level or group-level rules managed within the Rules Designer
Add custom commands
You can manage the existing or create new custom commands together with the custom business logic via the Commands section (more information can be found here):
Each questionnaire template can be translated into multiple languages (more information can be found here):
You can brand your new questionnaire template by adding a company logo and specifying the questionnaire’s icon:
To manage different versions of the same questionnaire template and have an access to its older versions, you can enable Versioning feature (more information can be found here):
Opening the questionnaire in the mobile app
There are multiple ways how the mobile user can open the questionnaire template within the Resco mobile app; some of them require advanced customization and configuration in the Woodford project.