Route planning allows users (or their manager) to use Mobile CRM app to create a daily route. It is similar to the global map in that it displays a map and a list of entities, for example contacts or accounts. However, it also allows you to tap any subject and create appointments. It can also suggest an optimal route for you that you can follow to visit all your today's appointments with least overhead.
Using route plan in mobile CRM
Configuring in Woodford
Route plans are configured for each app project in Woodford. Select Route Plan from the Project menu of Woodford to display a list of route plans. You can design multiple different route plans. After you're done designing a route plan, add it to the home screen of the app.
The configuration of a route plan is divided into multiple tabs.
- Activity: Use it to configure created appointments
- Smart Planning: This feature allows you to mark the time of appointments as fixed, so that the automatic optimization does not replan them.
- Filter Fields: Filter which appointments are shown on the map.
- Source Views: Select entities that should be displayed on the map. Users can click the map pins to add an appointment with the entity to their daily route.
Set up the route plan, then click Save & Close.
- Defines which entity should be shown/edited on the route plan. Often, this is the Appointment entity.
- Start Field
- Choose the entity field that defines the start time of the appointment.
- End Field
- Choose the entity field that defines the end time of the appointment.
- Related Entity Lookup
- Defines related entity or entities that will be shown on the map. Creating an appointment on the route plan will associate the entity record to the appointment using this lookup field.
- View-only Mode
- Enable to make the route plan ready only for app user. User won't be able to modify route items.
- Filter user-owned records
- Check if the route plan should explicitly filter records owned by the current user of the app. Similar functionality can also be achieved by setting a proper Sync Filter for the route plan entity.
- Enable completion
- Check to allow users to complete appointments directly from the map annotation. When this field is enabled, you also need to define the Completion Status field and optionally also Excluded Status Values.
- Completion Status
- Choose the status code that's set when a user marks an appointment as complete on the map. Appointments with this status code are not shown on the route.
- Excluded Status Values
- Choose additional status codes that should also be not shown on the route.
- Workday Start Hour
- Enter the hour which should be used as the start for every route. Format: HH:MM.
- Default Duration
- Enter the default appointment duration in minutes.
- Default Work Location
- Enter the altitude and longitude of the default work location.
- Start/end route at work
- Check if work is used as the default starting and ending location. Clear if you want to use the current location instead.
- Alternative visit location
- If you define alternative location fields, you can then define an alternate location for route items (appointment/activity).
Smart Planning tab
- Use smart planning
- When this feature is enabled, the optimization process ensures that appointments are not be planned outside of opening hours. Users can also mark appointments as fixed; these appointments stay in their original time slot during optimization. To enable smart planning, contact your Business Development Manager or send an email to
- Fixed Visit Field
- Select a field from the appointment entity that determines whether the appointment has a fixed date and time. The time of the appointment does not change even when you start the automatic optimization of appointments in the app. This has to be a field of the type two options (Yes/No).
Filter Fields tab
This tab displays a list of entity fields of the entity selected on the Activity tab. Select which fields should be used for filtering. App users will be able to set the filter to display only the relevant appointments.
A good example of such a field is the field Owner. A manager can select a person in the owner field, add appointments for that person, and save the route; then proceed to the next team member.
Source Views tab
- List of entities
- Select entities that should be displayed on the map. You can select one or more views for each entity. This list displays entities that have GPS coordinates latitude and longitude enabled. Also, the Related Entity Lookup field of the entity selected in the Activity tab must have the entities among its lookup targets.
- Initial Entity
- Choose an entity that should be displayed by default.
You can use rules to customize the behavior of your route plan. The following actions trigger rule execution on a route plan:
- On Item Added
- Executed when a user adds a new appointment on the map. Often used for initialization, if you need to set some properties for the newly created appointment.
- On Item Completed
- Executed when a user marks an appointment as completed. This can be used to perform some finishing touches on the appointment about to be closed.
Few sample rules are described in a webinar.
You can configure opening hours for the entities selected on the Source Views tab. Appointments for these entities can be only scheduled during the opening hours. See Opening hours for more information on how to configure them.