Eager to learn more about Resco technology?and help us create better content for you.
Resco remote assistance Houston is a video call functionality that connects a user, usually a technician on-site or in the field, with a remote expert. The receiver of the call can draw augmented-reality (AR) instructions within the video scene to speed up the repair process, reduce site or machine downtime, or share the knowledge in the field. See Resco remote assistance Houston in action
The access to Houston is included in the Standard license and the Inspections license. It is available on iOS and Android devices, and also from the web app. If the device of the user who is initiating the call does not support ARKit (requires iOS 11+), video calls can still be used, but the recipient cannot draw into the video. The recipient’s mobile device does not have to support ARKit to draw into the video. The list of devices supporting ARKit can be found on Apple web.
Resco Houston runs with Resco Cloud, Dynamics, and Salesforce backends.
Generate Agora key
Houston uses a third-party solution from agora.io for video calls. To use Houston with Resco, you first need to register on agora.io and generate a key that you later save in Woodford.
- Go to www.agora.io.
- Sign up to create an account.
- Create a new project
- Copy App ID and App certificate. You will need these in the next step, in Woodford configuration.
A new Agora account comes with 10.000 minutes of free calls every month. These conditions may change over time, please check with agora.io for any updates.
Set up Woodford
In your app project, you need to enable Houston and enter the key from Agora.
- Edit your app project in Woodford.
- Select Houston from the Project menu and enable it.
- Enter the Agora Key and App Certificate, then click Save.
- Publish the project.
Enabling Houston in Woodford automatically enables chat and adds the Phone Call entity to your app project. Do not disable the entity as it is mandatory for Houston to work.
Set up your questionnaire
No configuration needed. Houston is automatically available from all questionnaires.
Set up your entity forms
You can make Houston calls available on standard entity forms as a form command.
- Edit the app project.
- Select the entity from the Project menu.
- Click Show UI to display the list of views, forms, and charts.
- Double-click the form where you want to add the Houston command.
- Click Edit to display the command editor.
- Add RemoteAssistance to the Selected Commands pane.
- Save everything and publish the project.
Start a call
To start a video call:
- Start the app and open any questionnaire or one of the forms where Houston is enabled.
- Select the Remote Assistance command from the hamburger menu.
- Select a recipient from the list of users in your organization.
If your device does not support augmented reality, a plain video call is used.
The recipient of the call must also have a device synchronized with the same organization. The app does not have to be running to receive calls.
Once the call ends, both users can save their notes about the call. This is saved to the Phone call entity.
Receive call via web app
Recipients can answer the call also from the web. These are the prerequisites:
- Accepting calls using Resco web app runs only on Resco Cloud.
- The web app does not have to be running, but the recipient must have used it at least once so that the notifications can be registered.
- At least one browser window must be open and push notifications must be enabled in the browser. Houston runs on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, but it does not run in incognito mode.
- We recommend checking the global notifications settings in Windows (to make sure that they are not blocked). In need of troubleshooting, please visit Microsoft support web.
This is the actual flow of the call for the recipient:
- You receive a system notification about an incoming call.
- Click Open Incoming Call. The call dialog opens in your browser. You can either accept or decline the call.
- Click Accept to open Houston web interface.
- Wait for the caller to map the AR scene by moving the device to the front and back and to the sides.
- After a few seconds, once the mapping is done, you can start drawing.
- You can also make notes about the issue that was solved on the call in the Notes section. The note will be saved in the phone call record in the Phone call entity.
- When the call ends, you can complete the notes, save them, and then close the browser.
You can change the label of the Remote Assistance command using the string