resco.Houston user guide
|Warning||The standalone product resco.Houston is no longer supported. The knowledge library function continues as Guides in the Resco platform. Should you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.|
In resco.Houston, mobile users are people responsible for operating, maintaining, or repairing equipment. Rather than hauling the documentation in paper form, they have all the necessary information in their mobile device.
As a mobile user, you access resco.Houston on a mobile device, usually a smartphone or tablet. Before you can start using resco.Houston, you need to install the Resco Houston app from your app store and synchronize your app with the server. We recommend performing this initial setup in a location with good internet access.
- On your mobile device, go to your app store and search for "Resco Houston". Or use the direct links below:
- Install the app and start it.
- Log in using your organization ID, email address, and password. Alternatively, you can scan a QR code with the credentials.
- If the user has multiple roles, select Mobile User.
|Tip||After the first login, the app downloads all organization data to your device. Depending on your internet connection and the number and size of your guides, this might take a few minutes or longer. Keep the app active in the foreground until the initial synchronization is complete. Subsequent updates should be much faster - only the differences (new or updated guides) are downloaded.|
The main menu of the app is located in the bottom row:
- Browse equipment
- Browse guides
- Browse experts
Additionally, tap the portrait in the top left corner to synchronize your app with the server or to log out.
Working with equipment
The landing page for mobile users displays a list of equipment. You can quickly locate the right piece of equipment either by using the Search function or by scanning a QR code.
Once you find the equipment, tap it to display the details:
- Full name and a description of the device
- Serial number and ID
- Name of the person who installed the device
Scroll down to see the list of guides associated with the piece of equipment, as well as experts who help you via video call.
resco.Houston offers two ways of finding the right guide:
- Find the right equipment and then display the list of related guides. This is described in the previous chapter.
- Browse the full library of available guides: select the central button from the main menu in the bottom row.
To locate the guide in the library, you can either:
- Scan a QR code
- Tap All and select a guide category.
- Use the Search function.
Tap the guide that interests you and follow the instructions on your screen. Keep an eye on tips or warnings. The progress pie shows you how far in the guide are you.
Adding a guide
Using the mobile app, you can also author a draft guide. As a person with direct access to the machinery, you are in the best position to take some photos of the device and a few quick steps or tips. Once you submit your guide and synchronize your app, your knowledge managers can add some polish to the guide and publish it, so that all your colleagues can benefit from it.
- Start from the guides library. Tap the plus button in the top right corner.
- Name your guide, select the piece of equipment, enter a description and select a guide category.
- Add photos and text information as necessary.
- Once you're done, preview your new guide and post it.
- As the final step, tap your portrait and select Sync.
Calling an expert
Sometimes, you face a problem that's not described in the guides. In this case, resco.Houston supports augmented-reality video calls which you can use to contact an expert. You can share the video or the augmented-reality scene (if your device supports it); the called party can draw directly into the shared scene to help you quickly solve the problem.
To find the right expert:
- Locate the piece of equipment and scroll down to people specializing in it.
- Browse to the full list of experts: select the right button from the main menu in the bottom row.
Tap a person and select Yes to start the call. Before the instructions can start, you need to map the scene on the mobile device by moving the device to the front and back and to the sides. Once the scene is mapped properly – the AR instruction overlay disappears.