We are preparing a new source of documentation for you. Work in progress!
Schedule Board, also called Scheduler, is one of the main components of Resco Routes and Resco Inspections. It provides a graphical overview of task scheduling for each resource, history of the performed tasks, the ability to set only resources from the selected regions or only with the required skills, the ability to set optimization of existing tasks by automation and many other features.
Scheduler is optimized to run as a desktop application (Windows 7 / Windows 10) as well as mobile devices (iOS, Android, Windows 10) with larger screens (tablets).
It is also an optional part of Resco mobile apps for users with the role schedule manager. They can use Schedule Board to manage the people working in the field during the day/week, oversee the free resources and help to manage their work out of office. Scheduler should be included into a project that has set up a role to Scheduler or Schedule Manager in the Woodford tool.
- 1 Key features
- 2 Starting the Schedule Board
- 3 Set up your timetable
- 4 Schedule tasks
- 5 Edit tasks
- 6 Filter by source or resource
- 7 Review your key performance indicators
- 8 Customize your scheduler
- 9 Customize in Woodford
- 10 Default users
- Web-based tool with drag-and-drop interface to plan and distribute appointments and tasks to staff in the field
- Notifications about exceptional events – delays, cancelled visits, etc.
- Tracking real-time progress – if anyone will be finishing sooner than originally expected, the manager can re-assign jobs to balance workloads throughout the day
Starting the Schedule Board
Scheduler can be launched in several ways:
- From the Resco Routes: routes.resco.net
- From the Resco Inspections: inspections.resco.net
- From Resco CRM server management console
- From Dynamics: Go to Settings > MobileCRM > Inspections, then select Scheduler.
- From the app.
Mobile project has no Scheduler configured
When you launch the schedule board from the server, you might encounter the error: Mobile project has no Scheduler configured. Contact System Admin.
Scheduler is only available to user who is granted a specific project, created from the Schedule Manager project template. Create a project from this template, assign it the user’s security role and make sure the project has the highest priority among projects available for the user’s security roles, and then the user can open Scheduler.
If this does not help, make sure that the Scheduler in Woodford has the name Default.
Set up your timetable
You can change the displayed date range on the timetable using controls in the top right corner. The selected range is then displayed in the center of the top row.
- Today / This week
- Use this button to move to the current date. You can use the arrows left and right to move the previous or next day or week.
- Arrow down
- Use to expand date picker. Select the day / month / year you want to display.
- Date range
- Select how many days or weeks do you want to see:
- Day – The screen shows 24 hours for selected day
- 2 Days – The screen shows two days in the season
- 3 Days – the screen shows three days in the season
- Week – the screen shows whole week. In the filter dialog, it’s possible to show or hide weekend.
- 2 Weeks – the screen shows two weeks. In the filter dialog, it’s possible to show or hide weekends.
- 4 Weeks – the screen shows four weeks. In the filter dialog, it’s possible to show or hide weekends
- 6 Weeks – the screen shows six weeks. In the filter dialog, it’s possible to show or hide weekends
- Month overview – a statistical overview where there is a payload of individual resources displayed in the individual months.
- Map view – display tasks on a map (see below)
You can display tasks and resources on a map. You can only display one day at a time. To swap to map view, use date range selector in the top right corner.
Use the following functions to control what sources and resources are displayed on the map:
- Click Show/Hide in the top row and select if you want to see sources and/or resources.
- On the list of resources you can tap a resource to toggle its visibility.
Additional map controls
- Hover over a map pin to display additional information in a popup.
- Double-click the map pin of an unscheduled task to display its form.
- Double-click the map pin of a scheduled task to display its properties.
You can schedule tasks manually, or you can let scheduler to optimize tasks automatically.
To plan a task manually, select a task and drag it to the timetable. Some rows might be grayed out; those resources don't have the required skills to perform the task.
Alternatively, you can double-click any task to display its properties. The properties are organized into several tabs. You can edit the fields as long as the status of the task is planned.
To let the application schedule tasks for you, click Auto-schedule and select one of the options:
- Optimize schedules per Resource: Helps you to find optimal start time for all tasks assigned under individual resource. This is performed for all loaded resources. Resource to which each task is assigned is not changed.
- Optimized route (per day): Minimize travel time that is necessary to visit all tasks within current day. Visit order and start time may change, while resource to which each task is assigned is not changed.
- Complete optimization: Find optimal start time for all tasks shown in the view, across all suitable resources. This is performed for all loaded resources; resource to which each task is assigned may change.
As a result, the total service time in the field should decrease, and so should gaps between tasks. After each optimization process application shows summarized report in which you can easily identify if the process has been helpful or not. If the optimization does not satisfy your requirements, you can discard all changes in one click.
Task popup menu opens when you tap and hold an editable task for at least one second. It contains the following actions:
- Rebook Task – Allows automatically change the task start time to the earliest possible time within defined time window.
- Substitute Resource – Allows reassign task to another resource, while keep the task start time, or if set, finds the earliest possible time, or finds the earliest possible time within the same day or month.
- Optimize Resource – Helps dispatcher to find optimal start time for all tasks assigned under the resource to which is the current task assigned.
- Set As Completed – Changes the task status to completed. (This action is present only if the “Completed” action is chosen for at least one WorkOrder Schedule status field value in Woodford.)
- Set As Canceled – Changes the task status to canceled. (This action is present only if the “Canceled” action is chosen for at least one WorkOrder Schedule status field value in Woodford.)
Resource popup menu opens when you tap and hold a resource row in the grid view for at least one second. It contains the following action:
- Optimize Resource – Helps dispatcher to find optimal start time for all tasks assigned under the resource.
Violations are pointed out when the Scheduler detects that a task violates a rule. The following rules are checked:
- Resource Availability: A task must have a gap of at least [travel to] minutes from the previous location and [travel from] minutes to the next location.
- Working Hours: Task is scheduled outside of the resource’s working hours.
- Start: Start should be later or equal to that of the Window Start.
- End: End should be before or equal to that of the Window End.
- Resource Time-Off Overlap – task overlaps with scheduled time-off
- Coinciding Schedules – task overlaps with the following tasks: (task list)
In a task violates any rules, a warning icon appears in the bottom left corner of the task. To see the details, double-click the task and go to Violations tab.
Double-click any task on the timetable to display its properties. Editing is only allowed if the Status Reason of the task is set to Planned.
Properties are organized into several tabs. Depending on the task, some tabs might not be available.
- Info tab provides basic information about task: name, status, progress, start and end date/time.
- Resource tab provides information about the resource to which the task is assigned. You can use this tab to change this assignment.
- Route tab shows travel information. You can set whether your resource should start and end the task in the office, or if they can travel from one task to another directly.
- Violations tab lists all rules that the current task violates. This tab is not displayed if the task breaks no rules.
Use the buttons in the bottom to continue:
- Click Cancel if you want to discard any changes and return to the timetable.
- Click Save to save changes and return to the timetable.
- Click Open Form if you want to access full information about a particular task.
Filter by source or resource
There's a search bar above the list of resources. Use it to filter resources or sources by name or by a letter. Whether you filter resources or sources, you can recognize by the text displayed in the search field. In the case you want to change the filter, click on the magnifying glass icon and choose Search for Source or Search for Resource.
For example, select Search for Resource. To filter resources, click the search bar, write the required term and press Enter. You can also do it another way around: First type in the required term, then click the magnifying glass and select how to filter.
To disable this filter, clear the search bar. Once it's empty, the screen is reloaded.
Double-clicking a resource displays a form with its details.
Review your key performance indicators
Key performance indicators are displayed in the bottom right corner. They offer summary information about the the currently displayed tasks. When you change the date range, the values are recalculated.
- Total scheduled time
- Average travel time
- Completed tasks versus all tasks
- Rule violations – number of tasks that violate at least one scheduled rule
- Risks – number of unscheduled tasks in jeopardy (because the due date for scheduling is close)
Customize your scheduler
Use the Settings button in the top right corner to set up your scheduler. Modify the options in various tabs and click Save & Close to confirm your changes.
The settings are organized into multiple tabs; depending on your configuration, some settings can be unavailable.
- Working hours
- Restrict the time interval that should be displayed in the scheduler and available for tasks.
- Show completed or canceled tasks
- Clear to hide completed and canceled tasks.
- Show weekends
- Clear if you don't need show weekends.
- Rounded minutes
- Select how the automatic scheduling should rounded times, from the full hours down to 1 minute intervals. This also affects the accuracy that can be set when editing task properties.
- Move step
- Select rounding when you're manually dragging tasks.
Configure rules that apply to automatic scheduling:
- Default Office Address
- Use Google Maps to calculate travel times. (Google API Key required): Google maps are used to calculate actual travel times, then tasks are scheduled to minimize total travel time.
- The minimum gap between the scheduled task and current time
- The minimum gap between tasks
The Skills and Territories tabs allow you to filter data:
- Either by the specific skills that are needed for some tasks,
- or by the territories where a task should be performed.
Lists on both tabs support multi-selection; you can select one or more options. If you don't want to filter by skills or territories, select All.
Additional options can be displayed by toggling the hamburger button in the top right corner. It shows some options from the Settings tab, as well as the following options:
- Select which entity view defined in Woodford is used in the scheduler for
- Scheduled Task View
- Source (Unscheduled Task) View
- Resource View
- Manual & Auto-schedule behavior
- Select what happens when you drag a task onto the time table: Scheduler can either accept your choice of time slot and resource, accept your resource but optimize time slots (reorder tasks if practical), or fully optimize tasks for all resources.
- Auto-schedule settings
- Auto-schedule new tasks: New tasks are created from each source loaded in the list for source entity; and then they are automatically scheduled.
- Automatically reschedule tasks with conflict(s): All editable tasks that violate at least one rule are rescheduled.
- Reschedule already scheduled tasks (not started): Optimize even previously scheduled tasks, as long as they have not started.
- Before start of optimization
- Optionally, you can set incomplete tasks from the past as canceled.
Customize in Woodford
Administrators can use the Woodford tool for additional customization of the Schedule Board. You can set this up for each app project; select PIM > Scheduler from the Project menu.
The whole customization is divided into multiple tabs:
- Activity Types
- Activity Views
- Source Views
- Resource Views
- Time-offs and Holidays
The Activity tab provides two main things:
- It allows user to determine used entities and respective fields (i.e. Activity (task) entity, Scheduled Start field)
- It allows user to set On Create rule that is executed when a new activity (task) entity is created based on the source entity (when source entity item is dragged from the list of source entities onto the timetable)
- See Rules editor for further information about rules.
The Activity Types tab controls how tasks are displayed on the timetable.
- Border Width: Set up how wide (in pixels) should be the border of tasks on the timetable.
- Box Radius: Set up rounded corners for tasks.
- The table allows you to customize actions (task behavior) and respective colors for individual activity entity states given by status field.
The Source tab has two groups of settings:
- Use Activity inputs to select entity fields for estimated activity duration, completion progress percentage, and territory.
- Use Location fields to select address fields for your task or work order entity. These can be either on the entity itself, or on a related entity (e.g. account or contact).
Time-offs and holidays
The Time Offs & Holidays tab allows you enable or disable the Time-Off and Holidays items. You can also set their entities, fields, and colors.
Activity, source, and resource views
These tabs allow you to select one or more of the public views available for Activity, Source, and Resource that should be available in the Schedule Board. You can also select the default view.
You can also modify these views, or create new views. When editing an app project in Woodford:
- Select the underlying entity from the Project menu.
- Click Show UI to display the list of existing views, forms, and charts.
- Click New View, or double-click an existing one.
When a new organization is created, two sample users are created automatically.
- Schedule Manager
- The default email address is schedule.manager@<domain> (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org if administrator that created organization used e.g. email@example.com email address)
- The password is the same as the administrator account used during the creation of the organization.
- When you log in with these credentials (or as the administrator), you will be able to use default project designed for Schedule Manager role.
- Roland Dahl
- The default email address is technician@<domain>
- The password is the same as the administrator account used during the creation of the organization.
- When you log in with these credentials, you will be able to use the default project designed for the Service Technician role.